The Division of Science Policy strives to fill the knowledge gap about science by encouraging young scientists to communicate unambiguously with either scientific experts or non-experts. We use both digital and face-to-face platforms to reach a broader network on topics of relevance to Zimbabweans. In our quest to impart knowledge in science in a relatable way, we are also open to any feedback or questions from the public, which help us frame our work towards enhanced societal impact. We envision a constricted science-policy interface by facilitating a two-way interaction of scientific experts and policymakers to influence decision-making processes based on evidence.
The Division of Science Policy seeks to:
- Reach a broad audience on current science-related topics of interest to Zimbabweans
- Train early-career researchers on engaging and innovative communication skills that will enhance the societal impact of their work
- Bridge the gap between science and policy by enabling effective two-way communication between scientists and policymakers
- Aid in the application of science in decision-making
To achieve these objectives, The Division of Science Policy conducts and engages in:
- Science communication workshops (training on oral and written communication)
- Science communication competitions for early career researchers
- Regularly engage with the public through social media posts on various science topics and opportunities
- Publication of articles including policy briefs on relevant issues
To inquire or volunteer for the Science Communication and Policy working group, send an email to Margaret.
Transforming research & innovation through human capital: A roadmap to 2030, Zimbabwe Young Academy Policy Briefs 1 (2)
Predatory journals in science publishing: Strategies for preventing a national crisis while promoting Vision 2030, Zimbabwe Young Academy Policy Briefs 1 (1)
The Science Policy Talk with Poli-Yas AI
Poli-Yas AI is our science policy AI. Join her as she explores the world of policymaking in Zimbabwe.
Challenges faced by young researchers regarding participation in policymaking
A conversation on the challenges young researchers face in policymaking
The legislative process in Zimbabwe – a conversation with Poli-Yas AI
Role of science policy in shaping society and the economy